Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Magic of '80s... and Keeping that Magic Alive!

I was looking for a particular quote online from the movie "Over the Top" and I ran into a fellow blogger, Shelktone, who had it posted on a blogpost of his, except he was using it to completely trash the movie!!!

Like that weird, tall Persian guy exclaimed, "This is MADNESS!" This is utter blasphemy. Not only is Over the Top the only valid arm wrestling movie ever made, but it is a movie deeply rooted in one of film history's greatest pseudogenres of all time! Yes, I am talking about the pseudogenre of Cheesy '80s Flicks.

Of course, I must admit this Shelkton guy is somewhat correct. The movie definitely has its cheesy moments. We are talking about Sylvestor Stallone here trying to make a Arm Wrestling Family Drama movie! However, I have to contend that this is probably Stallone's best acting performance 2nd to Rocky.

The '80s movie pseudogenre is best known for cheesy actions and epics that may or may not have been intended for humor. Think of actors like Stallone and Schwarzenegger and you're heading on the right track. Movies like Commando, Rambo, Dune, and Army of Darkness come to mind. Some of these movies get pretty ridiculous that it actually makes them even more memorable than they should be! Take Commando as an instance. This movie happens to be my favorite Schwarzenegger flick, half because the movie is so cheesy that it chugs out some of Schwarzenegger's best one-liners, action scenes, movie deaths, and even manages to be awarded by someone (need source) as one of the most unfair movie matchups of all time (Vernon Wells (Bennett) vs. Schwarzenegger (Matrix)).

Anyway, back to Over the Top. Rotten Tomatoes had this to say about Over the Top, which actually gives an admirable 36% for the type of movie it is, "Why draw the line between "so bad it's good" and a pedigreed artistic success?" I agree with Rotten Tomatoes. Think of the fun quotes it offers to mankind. Think of the song "Winner Takes it All" by Sammy Hagar. Think of the popularization of the arm wrestling subculture. Yes, this movie popularized arm wrestling like CB Radios in Smokey and the Bandit.

Even Stallone movies have their place in movie history. If everyone thought these movies were so awful, then I wouldn't be seeing Stallone sitting up with the big boyz with a big house, wads of cash, and a trophy wife touted at his side. I rest my case.




And now for a few memorable Over the Top quotes (courtesy of IMDB and Shelktone):

John Grizzly: When I get to the table, that person, I don't care who they are, they're my mortal enemy. I hate them.

Harry Bosco: My whole body is an engine. This is a fireplug [makes a fist] ... and I'm gonna light him up.

Lincoln Hawk: Tell you the truth, the truck is, uh, you know, the most important thing for me. I... I don't really... it doesn't matter if I, uh, become the champion or anything. That's, that's not the most important... I... I need this truck.

Bob 'Bull' Hurley: I drive truck, break arms, and arm wrestle. It's what I love to do, it's what I do best.

Bob 'Bull' Hurley: Being number one is everything. There is no second place. Second sucks.

Lincoln Hawk: When I turn my hat around, it's like a switch going on. And I love that feeling. I feel like a machine. Kinda like a truck.

Bob 'Bull' Hurley: You ain't got a PRAYER in Vegas!

2 comments:

Kayce said...

The "when I turn my hat around" quote might be in my top ten favorite quotes ever. I watched that with commentators making fun of the movie, and that scene was by far the funniest and they didn't even have to say anything.

Love the blog Kyle!

The Blogsmith said...

haha actually I saw that Rifftrax (which I'm guessing is what youre referring to) did a commentary on Over the Top. I want to see that bad, as well as Star Wars III. I hear that one's a classic too