Friday, September 26, 2008

Throwing down the glove: A guide to challenging restaurants... to an honor du-el!


Ever since my dad started taking me to Famous Dave's, a rib joint, whenever I go back home, I have been an extremely strong supporter. I've been going to the one in Bellevue, NE for years it seems. To my surprise and joy, I recently discovered a Famous Dave's out here in Midvale (SLC), UT. To my disappointment, I had heard from several colleagues, most notably from one of my bosses at work, that Famous Dave's here in SLC was absolutely horrible. I got a little discouraged, but I had always had good experiences in Omaha, so when my roommate got his first golf hole-in-one ever, I suggested we go out to Famous Dave's to celebrate with some friends.

I arrived a little ahead of my friends and reserved a table. While being seated I mentioned to the hostess how much I enjoy Famous Dave's in other places, but had heard really bad things about the one here. Of course I delivered this news in a smooth way to indicate that I wanted to believe otherwise than what my friends had warned me about. The hostess brought over the manager to chat and I reiterated my hopes and worries about his restaurant. The manager acknowledged that the store had undergone some management changes a few months back and were doing their best to push forward and put that behind them. The manager took my remarks as a kind of "friendly challenge" and promised that I wouldn't be let down...

I actually felt a little bad at first because I felt they took it alot more personally than I had really wanted. They left me feeling like I set the bar to some unimaginable and unattainable level that they couldn't hope to surpass.

Funny enough, they put on their finest dog and pony show for us! The waitress was extremely nice and took real good care of us. Our food was excellent and when all was said and done, we got free desserts and two trays of free cornbread on top of our rather large meals. Utah football head coach Kyle Whittingham happened to be in the other room as a guest on some radio show hosting their event at Famous Dave's. I don't think he got HALF the royal treatment that we got that night. The level of service we got was pretty ludicrous.

I had an epiphany. I want to formally challenge restaurants on a regular basis! But that would require a legitimate, secret weapon to justify the challenge. I want to find some really cynical guy--the type that nobody wants to be around because they suck the joy out of life. His angst-filled opinions on life (specifically, about every good restaurant in the Salt Lake area) would be more than enough to justify the challenge to any restaurant, any restaurant, that I so desire.

For you commercial buffs: I BRIAN URLACHER, CHALLENGE THEE TO AN HONOR DU-EL!

No comments: